Important: Essential Information on Courses
- Students have to have a thesis advisor and a thesis topic.
- Students have to take "MNT 592: research methods and ethics in micro and nanotechnology" course during their first 3 semesters.
All the students are supposed to take MNT 501 and 502 as MUST courses.
- Students who had finished their M.Sc. at MNT and who wish to continue their PhD in the same programme can take any other restricted or elective courses to fulfill their 7 course requirement.
- There is further information on the website http://mnt.metu.edu.tr/must-courses
- It is essential for students to contact the instructor of the courses before registrations to be allowed into the class and to learn if there are any prerequisites.
- MNT 501 (8710501 – Section 01) is offered at Fall semester in the following hours: Tuesday 13:30-16:30 Central Laboratory Beyaz Amfi.
- MNT 502 (8710502 – Section 01) is offered at Spring semester in the following hours: Tuesday 13:40-17:30 Central Laboratory Beyaz Amfi.
MNT 592 (8710592 – Section 01): Research Methods and Ethics in Micro and Nanotechnology; Monday 11:40-13:30 Central Laboratory Beyaz Amfi.
This course is the must course only for the students started the program at/after 2016-2017 Fall semester.
MNT Students have to pass minimum 2 restricted electives in order to complete the program.
- The courses must be chosen as “Elective” courses during “Student Registration” or “Add-Drop” processes.
- There is further information on the website http://mnt.metu.edu.tr/restricted-electives
MNT students have to take 3 free electives, which should be related with the interdisciplinary nature of MNT and be approved by the advisor of the student.
- These courses are also selected as “ELECTIVE” (not “FREE ELECTIVE”) during the registration process.
- Several suggested courses are listed on the website http://mnt.metu.edu.tr/suggested-courses
# Generally, you can take maximum three courses from the same department. The other 2 courses have to be from a different department!
Seminar in MNT Course:
Seminar classes are suggested to be taken during the 3rd semester. Dead-line for taking the course is your 4th semester. The students have to be able to talk about their research topic in the seminar class.
- This course is offered to students in two codes as MNT591 for M.Sc. and MNT691 for Ph.D.
- MNT 591 (8710591-Section 01) (for M.S. Students) and MNT 691 (8710691- Section 01) (for Ph.D. Students) are offered at fall and spring semesters in the following hours: (Tuesday 12:30 Central Lab. Seminar Room).
Thesis Related Course:
These courses should be taken each semester from the time that you begin your thesis work till the last semester of your graduation. The deadline of assigning thesis title, advisor and co-adviser is at the end of 1st semester.
- Ø For M.Sc. Students
Two courses of “M.SC THESIS” (MNT500) and “SPECIAL STUDIES” (MNT8XX) should be taken.
- “M.SC THESIS” (MNT500) should be added using the section of the thesis advisor which is listed in:
Assume that you are going to do your M.Sc. thesis with Dr. Y S; then you should take 8710500 course with section 06; if it is with Dr. A B, then take 8710500 course with section 27.
- “SPECIAL STUDIES” (MNT8XX) This course has to be taken with the code of the advisor inserted into “XX”by section 1 as follows:
→Thesis Work Courses
Ifyou are going to do your M.Sc. thesis with Dr. Y S, then take 8710806 course with section 1; or for Dr. A B, it should be 8710827 with section 1.
Ø For Ph.D. Students
Two courses of “PH.D THESIS” (MNT600) and “ADVANCED STUDIES” (MNT9XX) should be taken.
- “PH.D THESIS” (MNT600) should be added by section 1 for all the students no matter whom your advisor is. You should follow up your Thesis Monitoring Committee (Tik) report to arrive into institute on time, so that the department chair will give the proper grade on time for this course.
If you are going to do your Ph.D. thesis with Dr. Y S, then take 8710600 course with section 1; or if you do your thesis with Dr. A B, then take 8710600 course with section 1 again. Both students take the same course with the same section.
- “ADVANCED STUDIES” (MNT9XX) has similar scenario with “SPECIAL STUDIES” (MNT8XX) of Master students. This course needs to be taken with the code of the advisor as written instead of the “XX”by section 1:
→Thesis Work Courses
If you are going to do your Ph.D. thesis with Dr. Y S, then take 8710906 course with section 1; or if you do your thesis with Dr. A B, then take 8710927 course with section 1.